A group of over 40 volunteers traveled from the United States and all over Ecuador to complete FAHUM’s tutoring and community center. The newly completed second story is being used five days a week to provide the following services to families:
1. Homework tutoring after school (local teachers and parents donate their time)
2. Parenting classes and interviews to get the parents involved in their children’s success
3. Tutoring for kids who have fallen behind after having to leave school for a time and getting them back up to grade level
An Innovative Idea
During the completion, Teresa, FAHUM’s Director, was able to fulfill a dream of hers: create a small store front to sell donated items.
This “Bazar Comunitario” serves two purposes:
1. Provides household items at an extremely discounted rate (There is no Deseret Industries there)
2. Generates a little income to help with some of the tutoring center’s expenses.
The children are very excited about their beautiful structure built by many loving hands-both in stage one and two. We are deeply grateful to all who sacrificed to provide such a wonderful learning environment for these children and their families.